Widget Image
Widget Image
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim

Teachers Can Foster

By Jill Rippy

Yes, it’s true.  Do you know that teachers are the next best home if a child can’t be placed with relatives?  Teachers can take foster children into their homes as a kinship placement. And, it does not have to be the child’s classroom teacher.  If a teacher or an employee in your school has a relationship with the child who was taken into foster care, they can be considered for a kinship placement. Principals, teachers, aides, custodians, cafeteria specialists…if they have a relationship with that child, they can request to be a resource home.

Further, they are entitled to some benefits. For example, in the state of Indiana, relative and kinship families can receive:

-$300 bed and bedding allowance

-$200 clothing allowance

-respite when you need a break

-$50 holiday and $50 birthday allowance

-6 months free childcare

-child receives full medical, vision and dental coverage

-child has a $300 personal allowance per year

Also, the child can be placed with you as a kinship placement first then you can become a licensed foster parent to then receive funds to care for the child.

Spread the word…Educate our schools!

If you are looking to become a licensed foster parent in the state of Indiana, reach out. Send me an email at thefosterlife@yahoo.com with your name, address and phone number. I will connect you with someone in your state who can help you get started. (I do nothing with your personal info other than connect you with someone who can help you.)

COMMENTS
  • May 10, 2018

I’d love to know more! I’m a teacher as well!

• Chantel Bohne
        June 29, 2018

Louisiana

• teri Perez
        June 30, 2018

I am in Texas and would love to know more please

• Amber
    May 11, 2018

Is this just in INdiana or all states? I wish i had known this sooner. Thanks for sharing!

• Karen Taylor
      May 25, 2018

Wish i had too!

• Misty
      June 8, 2018

Yes, kinship placement exists in All states. If you are in a situation where a child is being removed, ask the case worker. They are your best source for accurate information.

• Kelly Brannan
    May 11, 2018

I am a teacher in south carolina. Do you know if they have a program like this?

• TRACEY
    May 11, 2018

IS THIS JUST THE STATE OF INDIANA?

• Christa
    May 13, 2018

Is this true in MS as well?

• Lori
    May 13, 2018

Id like to know more about this subject as it pertains to Michigan teachers.

• Alexandra D Felton
      June 8, 2018

Same!

• May 15, 2018

Is This only for indiana or Other stAtes as well? Thanks!

• HaiLey
    May 15, 2018

Is this for every state?

• Amy
      June 21, 2018

Yes, it’s every state. You can be a kinship to any child that comes into fostercare if you’ve had a previous relationship with them. Even if you know the parents and not the child. It’s called a non-relative kinship. Hope that helps

• Ms. Austin
    May 16, 2018

I teach in Indiana, but live in Illinois… will this be an issue?

• Heather
        June 28, 2018

Not necessarily. It depends on the state too. I took in a student who went to my school but we as legally a resident of a neighboring state. I did not get any support though.

• Tacie cullingford
    May 16, 2018

I had a student in my class put into foster care last night. How can i find more information about this?

• St STEPHENIE Johnson
    May 23, 2018

+do they have this program in Texas

• Diane young
    May 23, 2018

I am a teacher in alabama and i am interested. Is this absilable in alabama?

• Kaylee
    June 1, 2018

Teachers are counted as Kinship placements in all states. I don’t know if the benefits and their amounts are the same for each state.

To find out more information, go to https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/outofhome/kinship/ and https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/outofhome/kinship/resourcesforcaregivers/ .

Find a way to contact the child’s case worker and/or family and tell them that you would like to be counted as a resource and would like to foster the child.

• Angie
    June 5, 2018

I am interested in talking with you! My husband is a teacher and we just began the process of seeking our foster license.

• Amanda Schwind
    June 6, 2018

I’ve only recently been made aware of the concept of Kinship placements. I have a fellow teacher in Indiana who’s doing it as well as a social worker friend in Michigan…

I live in Kentucky, but we hope to move back to Indiana in 2 years.

• Inger pride
    June 6, 2018

i am intere in find out more. Im a teacher in Florida.

• Tames Pless
    June 8, 2018

Would love to low more about this.

• Tracey
    June 11, 2018

What holds true for ky?

• Tara bolton
    June 19, 2018

I teach in Missouri. Please tell me more about this. I

• Christine kolavo
    June 20, 2018

I attempted to take students home who were being removed by DCS and was told I couldn’t without a license. Then I took the 16 classes to get it!!!!!! This was a while ago, so maybe law has changed since then.

• J. Rios
    June 20, 2018

I would love to learn more about this. My wife and I both teach and have BEEN approached about fostering kids twice now. It’s just so confusing we don’t know where to start.

• J. Rios
        June 26, 2018

Indiana

• AmanDa
            July 5, 2018

Hey Jill! Thank you for making the public aware of this bc iT’s a very serious problem.

I just submitted a reply to another post. I’m just curious if you vet tHe post fiRst bc i don’t see it showing up?

• Amy
    June 21, 2018

• Belinda H
    June 21, 2018

Any iDea if there is anything like this in Oklahoma? Where do i look? We have had my cousins little girl for the past year with no help and only medical through her fathers medicaid. No one has mentoned any help and have gone silent whenever we ask.

• Candace biggs
    June 21, 2018

Does This include all staTes? I’m an aide in a school discrIct in illinois.

• AngeleS hernandez
    June 23, 2018

Is this jUst for indiana? What about texas?

• Lauren
    June 24, 2018

I know missouri has this option for kinship placemeNt too! Ive been asked once to take on a student and had No idea i coUld until that moment! Relationships with our kiddos are so important!

• Vickie
    June 24, 2018

Does Texas have this program?

• T Tamura
    June 25, 2018

I echo what others have said…I wish I’d known this sooner and do you know if this exists in other states? I am in Arizona, work at a very low s.e.s. school, and many of my students are in foster care.

• Knique
    June 25, 2018

Is this also in texas?

• Makayla
    June 25, 2018

Is this true for louisiana as well? Where cab i get more info?

• Kawonda williams
    June 26, 2018

I would love to help, where n how do I start the process..

• Angie Helm
        June 26, 2018

Indiana

• Kenya Knight
    June 26, 2018

What About substitutes?

• Kenya Knight
    June 26, 2018

Does this apply to substitutes

• GabrieLle wertz
    June 27, 2018

I would love to get more info. Any texas information available?

• Amanda
    June 27, 2018

Do you know how this applies in Wisconsin?

• Adoptive Dad
    June 27, 2018

Unpopular opinion, does anyone else see a conflict of interest here? This article basically states if you work at a school and know a foster kid you can take them in and get paid. Teachers are mandatory reporters with the power to file a report, get a kid into foster care and through encouragement of this article get kids placed with them and collect a paycheck.

Lately, foster care is getting dangerously close to Government sponsored human trafficking. Wish I could say I’m being paranoid, I’d balk at it myself if I hadn’t witnessed it.

I know you all want to help and I’m sure you have good hearts with the best of intentions, but stay wary that your eagerness is tied to the destruction of a family.

Sorry if this comes through in all caps, I think it might be my browser. Take care, everyone.

• Amanda
      July 5, 2018

I have three young girls that have been in the system in Tampa, Fl for almost a year. Being placed with someone thEy know greaTly lessons the trauma these kids face. The countY i live in removes mOre kids than any county in the Entire country. Their profit last year was $165M. They treat thEse cHildren like tagged cattle. Obeying their rules, visitation times, etc Has Become a full time job for Me and my huSband.
      Your mention of the foster parents making money for opening their home to a familiar face is valid but look at the figuRes, they are, by no means, making a pfofiT. We still provide everything our girls need bc, well, they are our childrEn.
      I think this is a wonDeRful program considering teachers, counsEls, etc are often the Only consIstency these children havE.

• June 28, 2018

I would love more information about this. I’m in Minnesota.

• Beyda torres
    June 28, 2018

I would like to know more if i can do that in texas… more info please

• Shannon Tual
    June 29, 2018

any info for virginia teachers? My husband and i are both teachers.

• Debbie
    June 30, 2018

My husband and i were foster parents in GA. I am a teacher and as dfcs about a student being placed in foster Case. My husband and i had go go thRough 12 weeks of training to becOme Foster Parents. Unless the State has chaNged Ga Isn’t part of the program.

• David L Epp
    July 3, 2018

Two young ladies who have become a very important part of our lives started out in foster care this way. One of their teachers noticed that they had not come back to school after a break and went to check on them. It was clear to DHS that their home was not safe. The teacher and her husband took them in and became foster parents for what they believed would be a short time. When it became clear that their mother was not going to be able to overcome her ADDICTIONS, a longer term solution was sought. This resulted in these amazing young women coming to live with my wife and I. The oldest is starting college next month and our intention is for our home to be the place she considers home for a very long time. The youngest is a senior and will be a part of our family for as long as she wants as well. Being in the teachers home allowed them to stay in our small town where the have been heavily involved in church and EXTRACURRICULAR activities. We are in Oklahoma.

• Racheal
    July 3, 2018

I am a retired missori teacher although I still substitute teach as well as supervise student teachers. Would I be able to participate in this foster program?

• Amy Coryell
    July 4, 2018

Can preschool teachers do this? Or does it have to be a public school?